Thursday, July 06, 2006

I am Singaporean

Inspired by Mr Brown

My name is Handsel and it doesn't mean anything.

I live in Singapore and studied here all my life.
I followed through the competitive, merciless education system, emerging a graduate with little sense of the future.
I take the MRT everywhere, now I can repeat the terrorist warning messages in English, Mandarin, Malay and even Tamil (at least the numbers 999).
I love the national flag, and can recite the pledge in both English and Mandarin.
I sing Majulah Singapura proudly, although I do not understand what the malay words mean.
I read every sign in all three languages and stare hard at the Tamil words, hoping one day I will recognise the word 'Fine'.

I love my country and hate being mistaken for nationalities that I am not.
I silently sing Kit Chan's "Home" and queue proudly at the "Singaporean-Welcome Home" lane when I am back at the best airport in the world.
I am afraid to say my real name incase I kena the sedition act and I am a Singaporean.
So say we all

No comments: