Monday, June 11, 2007

Dollar and Sense

I should be sleeping now. But I am not.

I had a lousey evening. It usually happens when I need to buy something and Alboy is around. You see, we have very different notions about how much a thing should cost and how much I would be willing to pay for it. Alboy just have this mindset that the more expensive something is, the higher the quality. Usually that is the case, but the question I always have is, Do you need that high quality. Sometimes you are just paying for the branding. Sometimes he gets totally biased and insist it is the better make even before opening the package. Gosh, I hate those moments. When its his turn to buy stuff, i just do my tsk n walk away because after all it is his money and its not for me to approve his purchases.

Its a different story when I need to buy stuff. I do not consider myself a cheapo but I am highly unwilling to pay top dollar for something. I am much more pragmetic. If something performs its function and is not too ugly looking, I do not need to buy the most expensive one.

So it always happens like this. Alboy accompanies me to look for my item. Take the ipod skin for example. I was only willing to pay 20 dollars max for a silicon cover. But Alboy always have to insist that the cheap silicon covers are no good. Personally at 20 bucks, I do not think its cheap. Also, I hate to make my purchase at the first shop, I like to shop around, walk around, know that I am not cheated because I can buy the same thing at a neighbourhood store at 80% of the price. I get into this mangzhang mood cos Alboy just picks things beyond what I am willing to pay, then puts me into this difficult spot. Then, I go really silent and blackface then he gets mad too. I end up paying for something overpriced and feeling shitty about it.

Something similar happened again. Sigh. I should stop shopping with him.

Another story, at timberland, I think a yr or so ago. I need to get this moisturizer for my suede bag. Timberland was the only place I could find the moisturizer. Buy the moisturizer I will cos I really did the hunting. Then came along this one stupid brush. I knew I didnt need the brush. But Alboy insisted I will need the brush some day. My argument at that point in time was, When I need it I will buy it. I do not even forsee myself needing the brush. I didnt know what happened but I paid 8 bucks for the brush anyway. Its not really a matter of money, but now when I look at the brush in mint condition sitting on my shelve, I feel super irritated.

I should shop with people who understands this.

For the soul mate that he is, I do not ever think he understands this.

Sigh. I should really go sleep or risk being zombified at work tomorrow. But, like I care.

No comments: