Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I want to be the 4 in 10

Headlines in ST today were to make p.transport so good that 'My other car is public transport'
 
To that I say, "Xiao eh"
 
Our transport minister must have never taken p.transport on a regular basis. I hate people who make/says such comments.
 
Till today, except for the super rich people that say, oooh I don't need a car because the MRT is so convenient, everyone else wants a car!
 
IMHO, the public transport no matter how fantastic it becomes will never compare to having your own transport.
 
Imagine these scenarios,
 
Would you rather wake up 1 hr early every morning, stand on the train with smelly bodies squashed against you for one whole hour every single working day of your life,  or, sleep in and drive in heavy traffic to your workplace. If it rains, its ok because you park in an underground carpark. With p.transport, good luck to you.
 
Would you rather take the train, carry 1 litre of water everywhere or drive and leave the water in your car. I have to drink a lot of water so I get very frustrated when I have to carry my water around. Firstly, I need a big enough bag to dump my nalgene in, the 500ml one, plus water is really heavy. Oh say, you want to go for a swim/tennis/some random sports before meeting your friends, would you want to lug all your gear around in p.transport.  Fwah, hell no.
 
The shuttle bus from the mrt takes 30mins(not inclusive of waiting time)  to reach my house. A car trip takes 5mins. Would you still want to take p.transport?
 
After you are dead tired from a long day, do you still want to stand 1 hr on p.transport. 1hr is the average time it takes to get to anywhere from my place. You stand on the train/bus, jerking forward backward as the train moves, your bag becomes increasingly heavier.
 
Yup, driving can get maddening when the road jams up. You hear drivers complain abt the horrid jams every morning. These people have driven too much too long that they forgot what it is like to take p.transport. Next time you hear someone complain, just ask them. would you want to take p.transport instead. What makes you think buses do not crawl in the traffic too. The yellow lane thingy makes only a slight difference, that is if you can squeeze your way up the bus first. So many times buses have zoom past me because they were overloaded.
 
Sigh, these ministers. They probably did so well in life they forgot what it is like to take p.transport. Its ridiculous really.
Whatever, keep doing your job and hopefully when I finally own my set of wheels, the road will be totally free for me. The other 6 in 10 people can go take the train to work.

No comments: