Saturday, September 25, 2004

Sex and the Handsel

I had many things on my mind. I wanted to blog about how the trees in the carpark were pruned yet once again, how things had a way of coming back to haunt you , how much I despise people dumber than me yadar yadar. However, I asked Pally what I should blog about tonight and he replied SEX. Sex and the Handsel.

We then proceeded to a short but rather intriguing (at least to me) session about sex. The contents of which I have sworn to secrecy.

I feel sex especially in my part of the world has been demonize as a disgusting and sinful act. We were taught to fear our sexual desires as the hand of the devil. Remember the scornful look on your relatives faces when there is a shotgun marriage. No one here talks about sex openly, if you do, you probably sworn your confidant to secrecy, the way I have been asked to many times. I look around at my friends and I assume they are all virgins, but assumptions remain assumptions. The initial shock when I learned the truth has become yet another jaded fact over the years.

Afterall, Durex is celebrating its 75 years of safe sex. A survey recently conducted by them revealed that people have sex an average of 127 times a year and that almost three quarters of us are happy with our sex lives. It’s the Eastern Europeans who are the most sexually active with the Hungarians, Bulgarians and Russians all topping the 150 mark each year. And while the Americans are well below the global average when it comes to frequency of sex, they’re still seen as one of the world’s sexiest nationalities – second only to the Brazilians Forty five per cent of people have had a real life one night stand, although virtual reality sex by phone, text or e-mail is clearly a growing phenomenon. However, this new techno trend is still no substitute for the classic turn on of sexy underwear, lubricants and sex toys.

A little known fact. Durex’s slogan is "For a hundred million reasons". How apt.
What so bad and fearful about sex? I do not know. Perhaps this is why SATC shone at the Emmys.

Marriage is the union of two people. Historically, intercourse was the act through which the male and the female experienced God. The ancients believed that the male of spiritually incomplete until he had carnal knowledge of the female. Afterall, it was only by commuting with a woman that a man could achieve a climactic instant when his mind went totally blank. All this had nothing to do with eroticism. Nirvana was described as a never-ending spiritual orgasm.

I think sex is good. One day, I want to be able to have great sex and be able to proudly tell all my friends, with full knowledge that this will not make them look at me in a different light.

* Certain ideas in this entry came from Dan Brown.


No comments: