Saturday, April 16, 2005

Back in my country!

Yeah, so I am back in Sg. I love my country.

Hanoi on the whole was alright really. Minus that resident mosquito that made sleep so uncomfortable. The stupidest thing was that we only found the mosquito net on our last night there and really only had one good night's sleep. Why would pampered Singaporeans expect to use a mosquito net? It is the first time in my life I slept in a mossy net. Strange experience.

I have a slightly aching right arm now. That is after having to lug two laptops and many other equipment up and down three stories everyday. Yes, the hotel had no lift. It is a family run business really. They were so concerned about saving money that they switched off the mains to the water heater when we were gone one day, resulting in us bathing in icy cold water. When I say icy cold water, I mean ICE COLD water. Its not that cold water you get at public showers, its really ICE COLD. Considering the ambient temperature was like 20 degrees, the water was freezing at night. It took me 5 mins to creep into the shower, 2 mins to shower and get out. I didn't feel very clean after that though.

Besides that, Hanoi is really not bad place. Things are not as cheap as in Bangkok though. The people in Hanoi adopt a very different attitude towards bargaining, in BKK, they entertain you and want to sell you when you bargain. In Hanoi, they simply take the item back from you and hang it back up in the display.

Managed to tour around Hanoi a little, not as much as I wanted to because we had to work too.
Its a good place for a budget trip really. My Tiger Airway tickets were just about $150, minus the USD18 airport tax. I almost had no more money to pay for the tax and could not get out of Hanoi. Luckily, I still had SGD50 with me and had to exchange it to Dong.

Tiger Airways is not too bad too, when it is less than half full that is. The flight was so empty, one could just lie flat on three seats.
I cannot imagine how it will be like when its packed.

That's it for now. Am going to watch Sound of Music later.

I think I will wear my modified Ao Dai there. Ao Dai is the traditional Vietnamese dress, long blouse with pants. I tailored made 3 dresses but no one wears long blouse in sg, so I made them into tubes. Hahhah, the tailor gave me this dirty look when I gestured to her I wanted tubes.

2 comments:

moi said...

Yoz, sounds like its been an experience. Btw, your hp working? Sms you several times but no reply so far.

Dancingpris said...

Hi Cindy, I am very curious about your newly tailored vietnamese dress. It is possible if you can take a picture of it and publish it in your blog?