Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The price of water.

I love to swim and I am in a dilemma.

When I was young, I swam at my dad's company club. I go there to swim everyweek. Years later, the company was not doing well and they sold the place. A church bought it over and uses its facilities now. I do not like the church. It robbed me of my swimming place.

It didn't really matter that much then because I was swimming in the varsity pool then. I went every other day and swam my hearts out.

When I started working, I went back to swim. No one stopped me because no one checked my matriculation card. Then, Sars swept the whole country and contact tracing became the necessary. I could no longer enter the pool because my matric card shows that I have graduated.

I have resorted going to public pools then. I hate the public pool. It is dirty, smelly, slimy and salty. The toilets have a permanent urea smell too.

There is a pool near my office. It is 3/4 the length of the Olympic size pool. I have refused to swim in pools of any other length besides the standard 50m, it makes doing laps much more fulfilling. It is also empty, clean and has nice toilets. The only catch is that it will cost me $388 for a year usage. Solely pool usage, gym facilities are not included. I was tempted since the first day I started work 2 years ago but I threw it out of my mind as it was pricey.

Two years on, I simply cannot stand public pools and am growing fat. However, I still find it expensive just that I am more willing to fork out the money.

I am in a dilemma.

Everyone tells me its expensive water. Some tells me that I should not look at it this way because lifestyle cannot be measured by money. Others tell me its about the same price as a musical ticket that I pay. Most tell me its expensive.

I am willing to pay $200 for half a year usage because I do not want to commit so much money, but the gym is unwilling to compromise.

Sigh.

How?

I know people will tell me the standard things - "Its expensive". I feel that too, but I really love swimming.

How?

3 comments:

FF said...

I say pay the full amount. It'll motivate you to swim more and if it makes you happy, then it's definitely worth the money. You can't quantify happiness.

Guojun said...

Babe, if you like the place then you should just go ahead and pay the money. I'm sure you will enjoy swimming there than the public pools. Just think of it as setting aside $1+ a day.

Handsel said...

yup, i paid the full amount. less 8% though. Haggled a discount out of them which really isn't significant. I am happy now, my only grouse is that the pool is only 25m instead the usual 50.