Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Wedding invites

Fuckanthan, I opened my email so that I can click on 'compose new message' to blog.
Compose new message gives me a clean slate to blog and I can do a spell check before I cut n paste on blogger. Word messes up the alignment too much.

And, guess what I saw?? A wedding invite. Damn it, yet another red bomb. *Grits teeth*

Gone are the days when you receive an invite by snail mail and RSVP. The recent weddings I been invited to, I have been asked to confirm via email or sms, before they actually send me the invite. Its like huh? Save the trees project is it?

Anyhow, back to the original blog topic I had in mind, which incidentally is also about getting married.

My malay colleague today announced that her bf asked for her hand but she rejected. She loves the guy. She adores the guy, they speak to each other and behave like a newly attached couple. They have been going strong for years and she told me she rejected his proposal because she is not ready. However, she agreed to marry him in two years time and they have made a pact to start saving money.

I asked her, so how much money do you need to have before you marry. She told me they will save 500 a month and when they have 12000 they will get married. I was flabbergasted.

How is 12000 enough to get married? Where would you stay? You would have nothing in your house.

TV - $3000 Its probably a not too big tv.
Washing Machine - $1000? I have no idea how much a washing machine cost.
Sofa - $2000 2Grand will probably get you a low end sofa I think. Again I am not very good at how much these things cost.
Bed - $1000 A good bed is important. V Important
Refrigerator - $1000 Man, I am so bad at estimating prices of household appliances.

Hey, there is still 3k left. Did I miss out anything. Maybe 12k is enough for them to get married. If all else fails, there is always Courts.

I do feel very happy for her though. She was grinning from ear to ear when she related everything to me. I really felt very happy for her. For some strange reason, I was grinning from ear to ear too for a while after that.

Everything else doesn't really matter right, you just have to be happy.

1 comment:

Guojun said...

For Chinese, we need about 25 to 30k... The dinner need at least 10k liao... Malays got their own celebration also, but I dunno how much it will cost.

And you did not even include the down payment for the house, unless they staying with parents...