Monday, April 11, 2005

With love from Hanoi

Blogging from hanoi now.

Hanoi is not as rustic and as old as you see in postcards, televion etc. Its like sg in the 70s.
The roads are just swarmed with so many motobikes, they look like swarms of bees. The motobikes horn relentlessly, and they ride on either side of the road, regardless of road direction.

To cross the road, you have to behave like a chicken. Just say a quick prayer and dash across the road. Good thing is, humans and bikes seem to command the same amount of authority on the roads. The motobikes just weave around you. For someone as urban as me, it can get a tad bit scary. However, I am proud to say that I have mastered the skill of being an errant roadcrosser.

Things here are not as cheap as they should be. Somone tried to sell me the pirated copy of life of pi for USD8. I told him I can get the original copy for SGD5 back home. He followed me down the 2 streets and offered USD2 in the end. I didn't buy because by then I was getting too afraid of him and just want to go away. I belived I could have bought it for USD1 if I persisted.

You can never miss a Singaporean by the way he/she drives a hard bargain. The moment I start bargaining, they go , "from singapore?"

I tailored made 3 dresses, going to collect them tomorrow. I hope they turn out fine and will last me through all the weddings I have to go to this year.

So far so good here, its really too dusty. I broke up in mini-hives. Thankfully, I bought Zyrtec and it has been working fine.

Tradeshow is starting tomorrow, have to stand the whole day and try to speak to the Vietnamese. Talking to them is like a chicken talking to a duck. Its terrible.

I miss sg. I so want to be back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh hang in there gal. Would be home soon i'm sure.