Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Tsunami Waves

Last night I received an sms from kl saying that our primary school friend was holidaying in Phi Phi Island and is still missing. The embassy has found his gf but he is still unaccounted for. I am so sad, I just everything goes well for him.

I first heard news of the tsunami when I was speaking to Yumi. I went Phuket and Phi Phi Island with him years ago. He told me, " eh, remembered the chalets we stayed in? Now they are water chalets." I immediately dismissed him and he had to convinced me it was news.

Blame it on the fact that there was no newspapers on boxing day and I had not watched any tv as usual.

I felt this pang of grief immediately. I felt almost nothing when there was a bomb blast in Madrid. I have never been to Madrid. I didn't know how it looked like there. I couldn't visualized the extend of damage.

This is different. I have been to Phuket, walked the streets of Patpong , snorkeled at Phi Phi Island. Everything felt so near. It might sound a bit irrelavant, but it could have been me if the waves came earlier. They say, you have to be in the right time, right place. In this case, wrong time, wrong place. I met 50% of the criterion.

I immediately emailed Pat to make sure she was ok too. She goes to Phuket often for work. Thank goodness she replied my email and is safely in BKK.

I really really hope that Weiqiang is safe and sound.

No comments: